ibookserver Setup

my How-to quest to set up a rural dialup server on an ibook g3.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Trinity County, East Texas, United States

I'm a lawyer who likes to surf the net, play music and bitch about things I can't change.

Friday, July 01, 2005

So You Want To Host a Forum Server? You can with just a little know-how.

You see all those forums and Bulletin boards (BBS) that you can get help with computer probs, talk to other people who are into collecting left-handed pliers or used soup spoons - whatever you want, they got! And you asked yourself "why can't I have one of those so I can talk about what I want to talk about?" The answer is - you can! And just like all other servers on the mac, this one is really easy to do - unless you are afraid of a few unix commands. Let's go through the steps.

First, you gotta turn on a few things in your unix kernal. IN order to use the forum software (see my example forum- just Click on the title of this article), you need mysql started, and php started. To see what you have available and running in your Unix underlayer, you need to use the Terminal program that came with your mac os x - you will find it in the aplications folder under utilities - (unixspeak this would be /applications/utilities). First drag the Terminal icon onto your dock and let go - this will give you an alias that will open your Terminal from the dock and it will always be available. Now, open Terminal - it will say something like this: Garbo:~ maybeso$ This tells me that I am talking to Garbo - my other powerbook G3 Lombard mac, the squiggle is a tilde, and since there are no brackets around the Garbo name, I know I am in the Bash shell, and I am logged in as myself, and the dollar sign is the prompt in Bash. To see if you have php installed type in "php -v" do not use the quote marks. It should give you something like this: Garbo:~ maybeso$ php -v
PHP 4.3.11 (cli) (built: May 25 2005 14:03:43)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
Garbo:~ maybeso$

If you don't have php in your system, you can download php for free at any unix or darwin or freeBSD website - download the correct php for your system, but as of this writing, you should not be loading php version 5.x.x - it is brand new, You want php 4.x.x.. Follow the instructions and it will work for you.

Next, you need to start up mysql - You might want to download it from the net and follow the instructions for installing -but, you should have it somewhere in your unix files. Again, use terminal and try to find the folder. More on this later - I have to cook din-din for my wife!